I was planning to make a caprese salad type of dish with eggplant, to use up the rest of our Mozzarella, when I realized that the cheese had gone bad. Womp womp. I thought I’d make eggplant gratin instead, so I picked up some Go Veggie Mozzarella shreds. But… I didn’t have an onion, and I did have a tomato. I looked up a couple more recipes (including eggplant parmesan) and just ended up combining them to make my own thing.
It turned out really yummy so I thought I would share!
Caprese Eggplant Parmesan
- 1 eggplant
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 3 slices gluten-free bread
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 TBSP soy butter
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 4 TBSP good quality olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves or 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 – 1 cup shredded dairy-free Mozzarella
- Wash eggplant and slice (1/4″ slices).
- Lay eggplant slices on a cookie sheet or cutting board and salt (a shake or two of salt on each slice).
- After 30 minutes, wipe off excess water.
- Toast bread and mince.
- Melt butter. Combine with bread crumbs and Parmesan.
- Blend basil, olive oil, garlic, and salt.
- Lay eggplant slices flat in a greased baking dish. Alternate with tomato slices.
- Pour basil-oil mixture into a small bowl. Brush eggplant and tomato slices with the oil.
- Sprinkle Mozzarella on eggplant and tomato, lifting the overlapping slices if necessary.
- Sprinkle breadcrumbs over all.
- Bake at 400*F for 25 minutes, or until eggplant is soft.
(About 4 servings)
2 thoughts on “caprese eggplant parmesan”
This looks really delicious! I love meals made up with odds and ends 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person